top of page

How to pay 0 taxes as a U.S. citizen living in a foreign country

From what I understand, claiming FEIE is not possible for residents of California, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Alabama, and New Jersey, unless they first move to another state and maintain their residency there for a minimum amount of time, or renounce their U.S. citizenship completely. Sorry, guys! Hopefully other states do not decide to follow suit. :D In the meantime, I'll aim to cover as much ground as I possibly can here. Let me know what y'all want me to explore more of in the comments. XOXO

Use this link to sign up for TurboTax for a 20% discount:

Time stamps:

00:00 Intro to the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

00:44 Disclaimer

01:25 "How do I qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?"

02:43 "Does the U.S. government know that I'm not in the country, or do I have to let them know?"

03:30 "What if I'm self-employed?"

04:16 "If I have federal student loans, are they exempted if I live in a foreign country?"

05:00 "If I'm getting paid by a U.S. company and the money is going into a U.S. bank account, is this income still deductible under the FEIE?"

06:08 "What if my employer is the U.S. government?"

07:16 Summary

15 views0 comments


bottom of page